Sunday 28 April 2013

Supermarket sweep

Having made 2 visits to the UK in April, and with a trip later this month I thought I'd share a little insight into the oddities of my UK shopping lists. Play ground chats with other UK mums here and the various postings on work's social network page show I'm not alone in cramming bags with a few home treats and things that are hard to get here (at affordable prices at least). And all of us have received odd looks at the till as we make our last minute purchases of strong wood glue, cheddar cheese and chocolate chips.
We are very lucky and can shop on line for books and toys and new scaletrix control handles (clearly an essential item, not a toy) and get them delivered through my work but there are restrictions - no food, no liquids and no nerf guns. It takes a bit of time to arrive, which makes it hard to return clothes that don't fit quite the way the picture suggested they would. And also means the kids don't get the immediacy of shopping they enjoy. So I have a running list which everyone adds to between visits (ours to the UK and those of our visitors who we think we can prevail upon to stock up ). On my last trip I had 20 minutes at Tesco express on my way to Heathrow and got pretty much everything I needed apart from the wood glue or match attax cards and then had a productive tube journey trying to pack it all into my bag which I think kept my fellow passengers amused.
Along with the above items, my usual list includes strong sun cream, jelly, ant powder to deal with the thousands of ants and termites who seek to move in whenever they spot a chance, good quality chocolate, European wine, Parmesan, chorizo, nerf guns and bullets, lunch box snacks, wine gums, angel delights, mango pickle (which is madness when we have so many fresh mangos but there is a particular brand the kids like), good shampoo, toothpaste and bubble bath, swimming stuff as ours gets worn through at a fair rate, footballs, rugby balls, shoes of all varieties, marmite and some magazines and newspapers. No wonder I get funny looks!


Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment