Sunday 16 September 2012

Back to school

We are well and truly back into the school routine and, other than a few minor snuffles after 10 days or so exposure to new germs, everyone seems to be thriving. Uniforms are labeled, new shoes have been bought - an entire set for Matthew as his feet appear to have grown at least 2 sizes in the last six months so lucky that I have a job now - pencils sharpened, hair washed and, after some effort, detangled and body clocks slowly adjusting to a 630 start to get ready for the school day.

Our packed lunch efforts are not yet the drama I had feared, although they have added an extra layer of complexity to the already mad scramble to get us all out of the door and they mean a whole new set of things to be left/ mislaid or lost at school. As does the school's commendable safe sun drive this term which has added sunscreen, hats and water to the list of essentials that each child must have every day in their ever bulging back packs. I struggle to remember who needs what and having a cuppa with a friend this weekend I was pleased to see that I am not the only one who has made a wall/fridge chart with details of which child needs what on any day. Tim tells me that when I was in Kampala for work at the beginning of the week, jamie carefully checked everyone's school, swimming, pe bags against our chart - he is taking his year six responsibilities very seriously!



This is of course one of the relatively universal aspects of family life where geographical location has little relevance (other than to provide the backdrop - check out our tasteful tiles!) and where I have lots to learn from my other mum friends who generally manage to get most of their children to school with the right books, kit, underwear and sustenance most of the time and without too much demand on early morning vallium/ gin (if plenty of need for strong coffee). And I think that's a pretty good aiming point and one that I've successfully managed our children's expectations to accept.


Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment